Motor Boat 172 was built by the Royal Australian Navy as a naval officers' launch at the Garden Island Naval Dockyard, Sydney in 1937. MB172 spent a short period in Darwin Harbour before being sent to the naval shore establishment HMAS LONSDALE in Port Melbourne in 1940. From 1957 through to the 1970s MB 172 was attached to the Royal Australian Naval College at HMAS CRESWELL at Jervis Bay, New South Wales.
Elegant timber launches such as this were eventually replaced by fibreglass and aluminium general purpose utility boats.
When MB 172 was decommissioned, it was stored ashore for many years and stripped of all reusable equipment. It was later transferred from the Royal Australian Navy to the Australian National Maritime Museum. In the late 1980s apprentice shipwrights at Australian Defence Industries rebuilt the launch at its yard in Ryde, New South Wales and fabricated fittings at its Rosebery foundry.
It is now used as a work boat for transporting guests and museum personnel on Sydney Harbour.
|Construction||Carvel, spotted gum planking and frames, teak cabin|
|Sail||Auxiliary gaff ketch 58.27 m|
|Engine||6-cylinder Volvo Penta TAMD 41 diesel, 125 kW|