Kids are born explorers and our family programs and exhibitions are designed specifically to stimulate learning.
Treat the kids to a fascinating day of learning opportunities combined with a sense of adventure. Climb aboard real-life tall ships, warships and a submarine, engage in interactive displays, and take part in hands-on kids activities held during the week, on weekends and school holidays. The museum is a family-friendly place with lots of room to explore.
Here are a few things you and your kids can experience:
- Climb and play on board real-life tall ships, warships and a submarine*.
- Explore our exhibition spaces through interactive kids activity trails and soak up all there is to see and do. Little explorers will enjoy our PLAY gallery for under 5s.
- Watch history come to life in captivating live performances such as storytelling, circus or theatre.
- Take a creative guided tour of the exhibitions and enjoy themed play time with Mini Mariners for early learners, or Sea-side Strollers for carers and bubs.
- Play, discover, create and get your hands dirty with printmaking, sculpture or painting in Kids on Deck. Craft souvenirs to take home and treasure!
Packed with indoor and outdoor activities, get set for great value experiences for the whole family, all in one beautifully handy location.
(*nb. minimum height 90cm, prams and baby carriers are not permitted on board tall ships, warships and submarine).
A few handy tips for your visit:
The museum is at Darling Harbour Sydney and is easily accessible by public transport, bike or by car. Visiting on a Sunday using public transport? You can enjoy discounted prices. Discounted all-day parking is available for $15 at Harbourside Secure Parking (make sure you get your parking ticket stamped by us). See Getting Here for more info
You can expect lots of walking and climbing so comfortable footwear, closed toe/flat shoes are best (not high-heels).
Minimum height for vessels
For safety reasons, children have to be at least 90cm in height to board all vessels, confident in walking and able to climb stairs.
Visiting with babies and toddlers
- The museum is fully accessible to strollers and prams via ramps and lifts. Strollers and baby carriers are not allowed on the vessels.
- Free cloaking for strollers or bags is available on site
- The museum has 3 baby change rooms.
- Quiet lounge spaces for breastfeeding can be found in the parents room, or on the upper level in Tasman Light gallery and alongside Kay Cottee First Lady exhibition.
- Our free entry play gallery for early learners is open daily 9.30am – 5pm. We also have regular booked programs for carers, babies and toddlers.
- Yot’s Café offers high chairs and bottle warming.
Food and drink
The Kiosk and Yots café offer takeaway or sit down options, including a delicious kids menu. If you want to bring your own lunch, there are picnic tables on the museum’s Ben Lexcen Terrace. Pyrmont Bay Park (in front of Wharf 7) is another great spot.