This tour does not cover any particular subject area but rather introduces students to the concept of why we have museums and in particular what a maritime museum is.
We can also gear the tour to a particular subject that the students are studying, such as migration or exploration.
Curriculum references (NSW)
Not related to specific curriculum areas but can be linked to a particular subject focus if appropriate to museum content.
During a museum tour, students gain an overview of the museum's diversity. Exhibitions range across topics including Indigenous communities, migration, defence and leisure. Students will also see the fleet of historical vessels and visit the Navy destroyer HMAS Vampire.
A visit to the submarine HMAS Onslow and HMB Endeavour can be added for a small additional cost.
Price: please contact us for pricing.
Teachers and supervising adults visit FREE of charge within the ratios specified in Plan Your School Visit. Additional adults will be charged the student rate.
- A supervisor/student ratio of 1:15 applies.
- Duration and start/finish times: contingent upon student numbers and will be arranged and explained during booking.
- Breaks: you're welcome to take recess or lunch at the museum before or after the program, but mid-program breaks must be arranged at time of booking.
- Entry to exhibitions and vessels: all bookings include FREE entry to museum exhibitions and HMAS Vampire, time permitting. All other vessels require pre-booking. A supervisor/student ratio of 1:15 applies on HMAS Vampire.
- Location: all programs begin and end at the Australian National Maritime Museum, 2 Murray Street, Darling Harbour, Sydney.