The Welcome Wall is a permanent reminder of Australia’s heritage and the values of tolerance and unity in diversity. Registering a name provides a unique opportunity to honour our immigrant forebears, family members and friends.
- Registering one person or a family name costs $175 (including GST) per person.
- For a name to appear on the museum’s Welcome Wall, the person must have been born overseas and settled in Australia.
- You can register with as little information as the person's name and place of origin.
- Once you have registered, you can add a 150 word story about the person, along with information about their arrival and other personal details. This optional information is held on our database and appears on the Online Welcome Wall. It can be submitted at any time.
- You can buy a gift registration for a friend or family member.
- If you are registering a living person other than yourself, a permission for inclusion letter will be sent with the acknowledgement letter. Once approval has been received their name will be added.
- New panels of names are unveiled in a special ceremony at the museum twice a year. If your inscription is due to be unveiled you will be notified in writing prior to the ceremony. Ceremonies are free public events and all are welcome to join us.
How to register
Register online or to make an enquiry please contact the Welcome Wall Assistant.
Phone: +61 (02) 9298 3667
Or come into the Museum and ask for a registration form from our front of house staff.
How to update an existing registration
Please contact the Welcome Wall Assistant:
Phone: +61 (02) 9298 3667
What details about the person appear on the Welcome Wall?
The Welcome Wall records names of individuals only (note titles and awards such as Dr, Mrs and OAM cannot be inscribed on the Wall). All additional information submitted, such as date of arrival, can be viewed on the Online Welcome Wall (which is also shown in the museum’s foyer).
Are names listed alphabetically?
Names are listed on the Welcome Wall in the order that they have been registered and not alphabetically. This way a family or group of people who have registered at the same time can appear together on the Wall. On arrival at the museum, you can use the Kiosk in the foyer to look up your registration details on the Online Welcome Wall. The panel and line location of your name will be displayed and you can walk around to the Wall to see it.
How do I ensure names will appear together on the Wall?
If you are registering by mail, simply attach the forms together or number each name in the order you would like them to appear.
Can I list more than two names on a single line?
You can list as many names as you like on a line, providing they fit within the 43-character limit (this includes spaces). The cost for each person is $175, regardless of whether listed on one line or individually.
Can additional information or changes be submitted later on?
Yes. When you purchase a registration for the Welcome Wall you only need to provide the mandatory information about the person to be registered: full name, town and country of birth. Additional information and photos can be entered online after you receive confirmation of your registration.
What type of payment is accepted?
You can pay online securely using all major credit cards. We also accept cheques, money order and credit card (Visa, Mastercard, American Express) by post. You can also pay by cash at the museum's front reception. We will endeavour to email your confirmation letter and post any memento certificates ordered within 7 days of receipt. During busy periods this may take up to 14 days, therefore please allow sufficient time for processing and postage if you are registering a gift.
Who will receive the gift letter and certificate?
We will endeavour to email your confirmation letter and post any memento certificates ordered within 7 days of receipt. During busy periods this may take up to 14 days, therefore please allow sufficient time for processing and postage if you are registering a gift.
How can I find out the date of arrival, or more information, about the person I'm registering?
Click on the "family history research" tab as a starting point to locate the arrival details of a person. The Vaughan Evans Library
located in Wharf 7, may be able to assist you in sourcing additional information regarding immigration. They have 2 research guides that may be of help in your search for more information:
Immigration - Sailing ships
Immigration – Steamships and passenger liners
The library can be contacted at firstname.lastname@example.org
if you need more assistance to locate that elusive passenger list.
When will my registered name appear on the Welcome Wall?
Names are added to the Welcome Wall at special unveiling ceremonies, held at the museum twice a year. Ceremonies usually occur around April/May and September/October. The time at which your name will be inscribed on the Wall will depend upon time of registration. For example, if you register close to a ceremony date and are placed on a new panel that is yet to be filled, your registration will appear on the Wall at the following ceremony. Letters of invitation to the unveiling ceremony are posted to all eligible registrants around 6 weeks prior to the event.