This lithographed is based on the drawings by Louisa Mundy, the wife of Colonel Godfrey Mundy. It was published in Colonel Mundy’s ‘Our Antipodes’ in 1852. This work depicts Government House, Sydney, sitting high on a hill overlooking Farm Cove and Sydney Harbour. Image: ANMM Collection 00000889.
To celebrate the Royal Botanical Gardens Sydney 200th anniversary, the Australian National Maritime Museum and Royal Botanical Gardens Sydney will offering a joint video conference for year 3 and 4 students History and Science.
Cook and Banks: Charting the rumoured great Southern Land is a free video conference which will outline Cook and Banks voyage on the HMB Endeavour. It will be presented by Kieran Hosty from the ANMM and Louisa Murray from Royal Botantical Gardens Sydney.
Endeavour minus main top gallant. Image: Paula Tinney
The video conference will investigate the story behind Cook and Banks’ voyage to the rumoured great Southern Land and include topics such as:
- The reason behind the momentous voyage.
- The voyage and conditions on board the HMB Endeavour.
- Cook’s role as a cartographer and navigator.
- Banks’ scientific contribution to the voyage and how his legacy began the Royal Botanic Gardens’ Herbarium collection.
- Learn how scientists classify plants and try your hand at botanic illustration.
- The enduring outcome of the voyage and how it changed Australian history.
— Anne Doran, Education Officer